BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A Belly-Warming Recipe...

Its cold here. VERY cold. Granted, not as cold as some parts of the mid-west, but after two weeks of temps being in the 50's and 60's, 25 degrees feels down right frigid. So, I wanted something warm and comforting for dinner last night and I found one of my all-time favorites in my recipe file. I love this recipe. It really hits the spot.

Chicken or Turkey Velvet Soup

3 Cups water - boiling
3 Chicken bouillon cubes
6 T Butter ( I used "light" butter)
1/3 Cup of all-purpose flour
1/2 Cup of 2% Milk
1/2 Cup of cream or “Half and half” (I used fat-free half and half)
2 Cups of chopped cooked chicken or turkey (Mix dark and light meat) - I used a rotisserie chicken and just tore it up!
White Pepper

Make a broth by putting the water and bouillon cubes in a microwaveable bowl or a pot and heat until the cubes are dissolved. While it is heating, melt the butter in a skillet and then stir (wisk) in the flour. Slowly add the milk and cream and stir (wisk)continuously to avoid lumping. Add the broth and continue stirring (wisking) until it has thickened. If it looks lumpy, don’t panic, just put it in the blender until smooth and then back in the skillet! Lower the heat to simmering and stir in the chicken/turkey and heat until hot (do not boil). Sprinkle with White Pepper and stir. Serve immediately.


Notes
*If your chicken/turkey is already cut up, it only takes about 10 minutes from beginning to end. Whenever I have left over poultry, I go ahead and cut it up, measure out 2 cups and freeze it in a “freezer bag”. Then, I just put the bag in the refrigerator to defrost the day I plan to make soup.
*All white meat is prettier, but the dark meat adds more flavors.
*If you’re a cheese freak, sprinkle the bowl of soup with grated cheese!

0 comments: